The Department of Radiation Oncology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is experiencing continued growth in its clinical, research and educational enterprises. The Department is an integral member of the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC), an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, which has again been named among the nation's elite providers of specialty care by U.S. News and World Report magazine. Additionally, Vanderbilt University Medical Center has been ranked the No. 1 hospital in the Metro Nashville area and the No. 1 hospital in Tennessee. Nashville has experienced tremendous growth and was ranked fifth on the list of cities people are moving to by Forbes Magazine. There are also a wealth of activities and Nashville was recently ranked as the third best city in America by Travel + Leisure.
JOB SUMMARY: The radiation therapist is an integral part of the radiation oncology treatment team. This person is responsible for the accurate delivery of therapeutic radiation treatments to patients and simulations for patient treatments under the direction of a radiation oncologist. The therapist must have a thorough understanding of the rationale for radiation therapy as well as skills in patient assessment and interpersonal communication.
Administers daily radiation therapy treatments to patients assigned to the treatment unit, accurately and efficiently, at a speed consistent with patient scheduling for pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
Maintains records of daily treatment and other records as required.
Participates in orientation and training of all new radiation therapists to include treatment unit-specific procedures and protocols, on call-procedures, simulation procedures and protocols and provides feedback in a timely manner to clinic director.
Performs computed tomography (CT) simulation procedures and clinical simulations according to established department protocols.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
RADIATION THERAPY (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to administers daily radiation therapy treatments to patients assigned to the treatment unit, accurately and efficiently, at a speed consistent with patient scheduling for pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
PATIENT DOCUMENTATION - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate patient documentation in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
COMPUTERIZED TOMOGRAPHY TECHNOLOGY (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate computerized tomography technology in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
TRAINING (NOVICE): - Has presented course modules as part of a program. Effectively prepared by demonstrating knowledge in course content, structure and objectives, as well as audience characteristics. Demonstrated audience sensitivity and awareness. Responded professionally to content questions.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Internal Number: 1911988
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.